Logo
SIGN IN

LANGUAGE

Hollywood Dystopia Mirrors Beginning of Food Crises We Already See Today

By Allie Gallant 

The 2014 movie Interstellar is set in the not-too-distant future. The world has become an increasingly uninhabitable dust bowl, and agriculture is reduced to a monoculture of one of the few crops that can survive, corn. It’s a bleak situation. So hopeless, that the movie’s heroes set out not to fix the world, but to find a new habitable one somewhere else in the universe. 

Moving the entire human race to a distant galaxy is definitely in the realm of science fiction. But changing weather patterns, soil degradation and water shortages are not. The world is already experiencing profound hardship. As resources become increasingly scarce, the pressure to find a sustainable solution that solves our water woes builds.

So where does the future of agriculture lie? Indoor facilities, like one in Japan, may hold the answer.

Water, Water Everywhere – and Not a Drop to Spare

Water is a renewable resource. But that doesn’t mean its use is unlimited. There’s as much water on the planet as ever, but less than 1% of it is actually available to us in freshwater form. The other 99% is locked in polar icecaps or in the ocean. It’s also not uniformly available – 10 countries have 60% of the world’s freshwater supply.

Whoops! Article for GFSR Subscribers Only!


Not a subscriber yet? Sign-up for a FREE subscription today!

Get access to this article, along with our other great content, monthly journal, and more.

SIGN ME UP

Sftharticlefooter R1

Visit our Food Safety Training Platform to Access eCourses, Educational Webinars, and More!

Global Food Safety Resource®

GFSR is a leading educational resource for food safety professionals across the globe. Through our online media channels plus Safe Food Training Hub (SFTH) platform, we deliver perspectives, knowledge and training on the latest food safety trends, regulatory compliance, industry standards, and more.

globalfoodsafetyresource.com | safefoodtraininghub.com
Logos Duallockup

Corporate Head Office

1400 Kingston Rd. Ste. 403
Toronto, ON
Canada, M1N 1R1

Phone: 1-888-437-7395 x105